Monday, January 10, 2011

e-mail from a Princess to her Princess Grandma

Dear Grandma,


Today I went to "Quilt Camp" at Nana's. I did a LOT of the work, but I am quick to say I did not do "all" of the sewing. Nana did some, too. We made a dolly quilt.

I held the fabric as it went into the serger. I pulled pins out of the fabric and put them on Nana's big magnet pin holder. I chose the squares for the quilt from Nana's "stash" of squares. Of course I wanted to choose pink. Later she let me choose the backing material; I liked the green better than the pink for that part. I chose VERY pink thread for the quilting stitches.

A couple of times Nana let me push the pins through the fabric with a little bit of her help. I helped her smooth the top and the "stuffing" and the backing fabric before we quilted it. She pinned the big safety pins in it, but I helped steer it through her big sewing machine to put "squares" in it that I could see on the back.

Nana had to put LOTS of pins in to make the edge of my quilt. Then I helped steer it through the big sewing machine, and now I have a dolly quilt! I said, "Nana, it's a LOT of work making a quilt".

Today when I took it home, I decided it was a kitty bed. I was the kitty, and I curled up in a ball and snuggled on it. (I think I want my Nana to make ME a quilt pretty soon!)

I wanted to show you a picture of my quilt, because I am very proud. It's very tricky sewing in a straight line when I keep slipping off Nana's lap! It was fun pushing the "scissors" button so it would cut the thread. Then I pushed the button with a picture of a presser foot on it. That made the foot lift up so I could get my quilt off the machine. It's kind of noisy when it moves.


Nana's big machine did a pretty cool trick and put my name on my quilt so I could "sign it". (She told me her teacher said "real quilters" sign their quilts these days.) I told her I wanted my name RIGHT in the MIDDLE! Then it put the year on there, too, so I won't ever forget when I made it.

I liked the "squares" on the back, but Nana's picture is pretty fuzzy.

Nana has been practicing making quilts for little girls in South Korea. She is getting better at making them now, so we did a pretty good job on this one.

I hope you like my quilt Grandma!


[Someone asked:  It's 16" x 22"]


[And, yes, Nana see the mistake she made when laying out the squares....  oops]

1 comment: